Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Kinda Sketchy, Skechers.

I have never been the biggest fan of Skechers, so it's possible I'm being overly harsh.  But they have a couple of gems out right now that do not get my feminist-mommy stamp of approval.

The first is the "Pretty Tall."  It's a line of tennis shoes with elevated, wedge-style heels.   I just don't get it.  That doesn't sound comfortable, or particularly good for a little girl's feet.  How is she supposed to run around in those?  I read one blog post where a mom raved about them because they increased her daughter's height by a full inch and half, allowing her to get on amusement park rides that she otherwise was too short to ride (http://kidsfashion.about.com/b/2010/08/13/annas-closet-skechers-pretty-tall-shoes.htm).  Huh.  I don't want to judge or anything, but aren't those height requirements kind of a safety thing? 


The second is a version of the Skechers shape up, but for kids.  I'm for kids getting exercise, but something about this just rubs me the wrong way. Here is a banner ad from the Skechers website featuring both products.


So what do you think? Am I just trying to find something to bitch about or are there some legitimate concerns here?

Also, I can't help but imagine that Tom Cruise is on the phone somewhere, desperately trying to get Skechers to manufacture him a custom pair.  Here is an old pic of him in the park with his robo-wife, wearing a sadly plain pair of Pretty Talls.  He'd really like a new pair.


 


The ones with the butterflies, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment