Monday, May 9, 2011

Black Beauties

Vogue Italia has released their May issue, which is titled: "A Tribute to Black Beauties."  It does have some gorgeous photographs.  How can you not love this?




Or this?

Okay, I'll admit that the granny-panty crotch roses are confusing me a little bit.  Nonetheless, gorgeous!

I'm not even going to go on about how one black tribute issue a year does not make up for how under-represented black women are in fashion (especially black women who don't look exactly like slightly darker white women.  Don't get me started on that.).

But can I lodge a complaint?  I just can't anymore with the tribal jewelry.  I just can't. Do we really need to go there?  Edit, people!  Haven't you ever heard that old quote from Coco Chanel?  "Before you leave the house in the morning, look in the mirror and take one thing off."   That rule applies here, y'all.  My vote is on the gigantic necklace that does not fit with the rest of the outfit. It's like tourette's syndrome in the form of an accessory.

Somebody clearly thought that necklace added something to the photo.  It does.  You know what it adds?  This: The mental image of some graying white man with a snooty fake British accent wearing loafers with no socks and an ascot standing next to the craft services table bragging:  "Take a look at this, Charles, isn't this ethnic?  It's a black model.  In a tribal necklace.  Clever, I know.  I just thought it up, all by myself.  You know, because black women are just positively exotic!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment