Saturday, October 8, 2011

What I Love About Me

Marie Claire is one of the better fashion magazines.  They actually have decent articles, an even one whole page every month about plus sized fashion called Big Girl in a Skinny World.  Seriously, though, the whole damn magazine should be called Skinny Girl in a Big World because nobody can actually wear the crap in their editorials.  Eh, that's a whole other rant for another day.

So, this month they published their "Winners" of a nationwide contest.  They asked women across the country to name "What I love about me."   Thinking this would be a great woman-positive article, I dug in.

I'm going to spare you the full ten, but this is a sampling of what I got:

"I'm always switching up my style, but my pillowy lips are my best accessory."
"I love how my cute dimples brighten up my whole face."
"Even though my nose is crooked, it's perfect because it reminds me of my dad."
"Having porcelain skin sets me apart from the tan-obsessed crowd."
"My Brazilian accent is an amazing ice-breaker — people are constantly trying to figure out where I'm from."

So, when you ask women across the country what they like about themselves, and then pull the very best ten this is what you get?  Nine of them were about appearance.  Seriously?  The thing you like best about yourself is that you're white or that you have a witchy nose?  Nobody is kind or compassionate or freaky-good at math?  

I love how they published the most shallow, vapid answers possible to a question that probably got some really interesting answers.  Thanks for reinforcing the idea that the most important thing about women is the way they look, Marie Claire! 

Oh, and here's the photo of Snow White.  Congratulations on being Caucasian, bitch! 


No comments:

Post a Comment