Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Black Pin-Up Girls

So, I recently posted about chubby pin-up girls, and even pin-up boys.  I realized that I have never seen a Black pin-up girl.  Surely they exist, right?  Turns out, not so much.   I have spent more time that I want to admit over the last few days trying to dig up some beautiful pin-up art.  I am left empty-handed and kind of pissed off.  Surely someone has a box of old 1940s pin-ups sitting in an attic or closet waiting to be rediscovered.  I refuse to believe that this is such a crazy concept that it was never done.

Despite failing to find pin-ups, I did find some very lovely photographs of Dorothy Dandridge, Josephine Baker, and Joyce Bryant.  

Dorothy Dandridge





Joyce Bryant


Josephine Baker


Although these photos are beautiful, it strikes me as odd that I can't find any vintage pin-ups or more recent pin-ups that are done by an actual artist.    What gives, internet?  

No comments:

Post a Comment