Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Remarkable Images from the Great Depression

This photo is titled: "Operating a hand drill at Vultee-Nashville, a woman works on a "Vengeance" dive bomber, Tennessee (1943)"


"Corpus Christi, Texas. Wife of a disabled World War I veteran, Mrs. Cora Ann Bowen (left) works as a cowler at the Naval Air Base."



"Jack Whinery, homesteader, and his family, Pie Town, New Mexico. (1940)"   Wow. The image on the calendar behind the mother makes for a really striking contrast.

The images above are from a really remarkable group of color photos from the Great Depression.  It is definitely worth a look.   It's at the Huffington Post.  I know, I know. Anyway, here is the link: Rare Color Photos From the Great Depression

I got inspired and searched out a few more similar images.  I'm glad I did.  These are from the Library of Congress.

This is probably my favorite.  It is gorgeous and speaks volumes. It is from the Library of Congress and was taken in 1943.  It is titled: "Operating a hand drill at Vultee-Nashville, woman is working on a "Vengeance" dive bomber, Tennessee."


"Woman aircraft worker, Vega Aircraft Corporation, Burbank, Calif. Shown checking electrical assemblies."  June 1942.  Beautiful on so many levels.

No comments:

Post a Comment