Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Mommy Makeovers!

I keep driving past this billboard on I-94 advertising "Mommy Makeovers" at The Michigan Center for Cosmetic Surgery.  I've been mildly irritated by it, and since I can't let things go I decided to google it.

Here is the text and (jubilant! triumphant! victorious!) photo  from the website:



"Becoming a Mommy is one of life’s most rewarding and fulfilling experiences. Past generations believed that this simply meant making sacrifices in your appearance. They observed that the combined effects of childbearing, nursing, lost sleep, aging, and changing metabolism took a distinctive and predictable toll on a woman’s body.
Today women have another option!… A Mommy Makeover!… This is custom tailored to correct, and reverse unwanted changes that have occurred in your body. It helps restore your body to a more vigorous and youthful appearance."

Well. Hmph.

I guess I can stop being mildly irritated.  It is true that the rigors of motherhood and the horrors of aging do make it hard to adhere to our culture's size zero, airbrushed beauty norm.  The website says the surgeons can correct  these changes.  I mean, if it's something that requires correction clearly it's something wrong with me...  There's no chance that the perpetuation of unrealistic standards for female appearance might be desirable so that some people can profit off of them right?  Haha!  No way.  Definitely not these good doctors with the bikini ladies on their website...  I'm scheduling an appointment ASAP. 

Maybe they can also makeover my attitude.

1 comment:

  1. "....restore your body to a more vigorous and youthful appearance."

    Spoken like someone who never spent their days chasing a toddler around. All the mothers I know who do this, manage a pretty vigorous appearance without help from these guys....when they get to stand still for a nanosecond, that is.

    ReplyDelete