Sunday, January 15, 2012

Barenaked ladies

Plus Model magazine ran an intentionally controversial pictorial in their January 2012 issue titled "What's Wrong with Our Bodies Anyway?"  The pictorial is designed to elicit shock and raise questions for the viewer.  Most of the images are gorgeous.  Here are two of the most lovely:


Katya Zharkova

Then there were two images that featured the plus-sized model alongside a so-called "straight-sized" model.  I'm not sure what I think about these.  They do highlight just how pre-adolescent and tiny the smaller model looks.  However, I'm not sure how I feel about comparing women's bodies in this way.  I also can't help but note the faux lesbianism in the posing, and the fact that the smaller model has her face completely obscured in each photo, which is a form of objectification.  These things strike me as a bit unnecessary, possibly creepy, and ultimately distracting from the points they were trying to make.  The photos below lack the joy of the ones above.  What do you think?  Progress or not?







(View the full pictorial here: PMM Pictorial)

No comments:

Post a Comment