Friday, December 10, 2010

Little girls in big girl clothes

Elle Fanning, age 12, at the Venice film festival. 

Several websites commented on this dress as being both fun and age-appropriate. Yes, it would be totally age appropriate if she had on a pair of pants underneath that dress.  The girl is twelve.  Twelve!  Does she really need hooker heels and an up-to-there skirt?  I'm voting no.   

Yes, there are many worse things out there that I could pick to bitch about.  But when this outfit is lauded for being age appropriate, I think something has gone awry.  How about we protect girls instead of sexualizing them, mmmmkay?

3 comments:

  1. I can't stand that there are toddler size off the shoulder tops, and low rise pants for 2 year old girls.

    Also, why do they make little kid pants with stuff written across the butt? The only thing appropriate would be something like "It's creepy that you're looking at my butt...I'm 5 you jerk." but I think they probably don't have room so they go with "Cute".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree. One time I was at JCPenney and they had a onesie that said "I'm too sexy for my diaper." That really freaked me out. I kind of get that it was supposed to be funny, but I also couldn't help but think some pedophile would see it and agree. Eeeew.

    ReplyDelete